My agent is writing my offer this afternoon and I forgot my checkbook. Can my girlfriend (or mom or brother or friend) write the earnest money check for me and I can pay them back?
No. This is not recommended because it likely is not an acceptable source of your down payment. Ask your agent to let you bring your own check later for the offer to be submitted.
Learn more: Asset Related Questions
- Can I use cash deposits?
- Can I take a cash advance on my credit card?
- Can I deposit checks from sources other than my payroll check into my account?
- What about transfers into my account from another account?
- What do I do if I have already received money in my account?
- What other things does the lender look for on account statements?
- When do I need to have my down payment?
- What is required for gift documentation?
- My agent is writing my offer this afternoon and I forgot my checkbook. Can my girlfriend (or mom or brother or friend) write the earnest money check for me and I can pay them back?
- I don’t have enough money in my account for my earnest money. Can I write a check from my credit card account?
- Will my earnest money count toward my down payment?
- Do I always get my earnest money back if I don’t purchase the home?
- What other expenses will I have to incur in addition to what is on the closing cost estimates provided by my loan originator?